Weiss 501 DAC

With great caution, just set up my new Weiss 501 DAC.  Why pray tell with great caution? Because I'm running ATC 40 actives and did not wish to mistakenly cook them by incorrect hookup while using the unit as a DAC and single source preamp/volume control.

Far too soon for evaluation, but not too soon to observe and appreciate the incredibly small footprint of it all.  Naim Core server, Weiss 501, Decware power conditioner all sitting on Quadraspire Reference X stand, appropriate cabling, PCs and done.  Compact civilized aural pandemonium! 

celtic66

Showing 4 responses by w123ale

I had the same experience with getting a response directly from Daniel. The Music Room sells them as well as Bluebird Music—perhaps try them

I’m wondering if anyone has compared the internal Weiss streamer to having an external streamer like a Grimm M1

@vinylvalet excellent. Good to hear. I have no complaints going directly into the 501, but one always wonders if the grass is greener. I have a fiber connection to a Sonor to Shunyata Ethernet cable to the Weiss for Roon. Head and shoulders above the USB connection coming out of my Allo Raspberry Pi which I use for Airplay and Spotify when I want background music.

@adriaan I only tried Shunyata Delta and Alpha NR 2 PC. Both significantly opened up the sound stage and increased separation. I ended up choosing the Delta because it left a bit more meat on the bones and is what I’ve been running for a year or so. I sure am keen to know how the MK II compares to the MK I—I’ve been considering an upgrade.