Weird Bass Reponse on my Speakers.

I just got a Talon ROC 2002 subwoofer dedicated mainly for 2-channel system. I tried to setup crossover point by using Radioshack SPL meter to find out what frequency that my Sonus Faber Extremas started to dip. I got weird results using Stereophile Test CD 1 (1/3-octave warble tone at -20dB). Here they are(SF Extremas only no subwoofer).

Frequency----------------SPL Meter Reading
1KHz--------------------->70 dB(reference level)
200Hz-------------------->62 dB
160Hz-------------------->63 dB
125Hz-------------------->58 dB
100Hz-------------------->52 dB
80Hz--------------------->53 dB
63Hz--------------------->60 dB
50Hz--------------------->70 dB
40Hz--------------------->61 dB
31.5Hz------------------->55 dB
25Hz--------------------->52 dB
20Hz--------------------->below 50 (unmeasurable by RadioShack SPL meter)

From the readings above,SPL readings started to dip at 200Hz(62dB) until it reach 52dB, which has the lowest value, at 100Hz and climbing up to 70db(reference level) again at 50Hz. And then I got lower dB as the frequency went lower.

So, I set the crossover frequency of my sub at 40Hz. and the SPL reading for lower-bass after combining subwoofer are:
(Upper Frequency responses are still the same)
50Hz---------------------->70 dB
40Hz---------------------->70 dB
31.5Hz------------------->70 dB
25Hz---------------------->68 dB
20Hz---------------------->54 dB

Here are my question:
1. Is the dipping between 63-200Hz and going up at 50Hz considered normal?
2. Is there anything wrong my speakers? Could it be other tube gears or my room that make cause this problem? (My listening room has no left wall at all)
3. How's your opinion on Lower bass responses after combining the subwoofer?

I'm pretty happy with the result musically but I think mid-bass responses might still be the problems for me.
My equipments are:
CDP: BAT VK-D5SE
PRE: BAT VK-5i (w/ Amperex 6DJ8 orange globe tubes)
AMP: BAT VK-60

Thanks for looking!
ted263

Showing 1 response by chilidog91311

Looks like you have a nice big dip in the bass response from about 140hz down to 60hz range. This is a common problem I find with monitors on stands in a lot of set ups. The overall perceived result, sonically, is weak sounding mid bass/upper bass, as you're describing.
Just out of curriosity, how high is your ceiling and how high are the stands your speakers are on? Also, what are the room dimmensions, including the open area to the left where there's no wall?
I'd need to look at where you sit/measure from as well, but speaker/seating location in the room is the single biggest determining factor for bass response from any speaker/system!!! YOu mentioned having some "non-symetrical" layout for your speakers, and that one speaker is out in the room with no wall to one side, where the other I assume is? You are definitely getting different bass response from one speaker to the other, and one speaker is probably producing more of the bass than the other in terms of room/seating interaction. Can you rearange your set up to get both speakers in a more "symetrical" placement in the room? Is this feasible?
I usually find people screw this part of the most, and their set ups leave something to be desired.
My assesment,not even having seen your room or layout, is that you can fix your problem if you know what your doing in repossitining your speakers/seating/speaker height!
I know SF recommends certain height stands for their speakers to immage the way they want, and for proper sound stage height. However, my experiences STRONGLY DISSAGREE with their usually HIGH speaker height for stands in general! ESPECIALLY considering that most people listen to speakers in a room with an average 8ft ceiling height, this tends to always make speakers respond weaker in the mid bass reigion on stands that are much higher than 24=25" for standard monitors! When you consider SF usually recommends stands that are like 31" or so for their speakers (Extremas may be different), the results with low ceiling heights tend to not do so well in terms of response that high! Really, I think its better to use lower stands when you use an 8ft ceiling in general, and adjust the speakers "tip" towards your ears instead!...yielding better response usually.
However, as there's inevitably more factors to consider, and each room/set up is different, it can very. But, again, usualy if you have to do stands with a lower ceiling for 2 way monitors, lower usually sounds more "full" and "strong" in the midbass, and reinforces the bsss frequencies from the floors bass augmentation. Sometimes higher can work better overall, and help reduce the 70hz peak that's lower in the middle of the floor/ceiling, and the 140hz mode that you get in the middle of the floor/ceiling can be smoothed by placing the speakers bass woofer at 2ft off the floor, wich is often imprrctical with speakers on stands.
Really, there's a lot of factors.
Still I believe with different location considerations for your set up, you can get much better, more accuruate sounding results and bass response from those otherwise excellent monitors.
Another strong consideration would be to hire someone who knows what they're doing with rooms and speaker set ups! You'd be shocked at what a knowledgeable, experience experied can do! That's often well worth the money if you can find such an individual to do it for you. There's so many considerations in getting great sound from speakers in a room, especially smaller rooms! Those are the most challenging usually, and limitations apply without equalizers in very small rooms unfortunately.
There are a lot of "tricks" and techniques to finding the right locations in rooms to place speakers and seats, depending on the room. It's knowing what those techniques and skills are, and how to utilize them, that can make all the difference! Good luck
Good luck