Weakest digital link: DAC - Streamer - Server?

I am curious WHICH of the three is MOST important in digital playback? DAC, Streamer, or Server? I assume DAC is #1, but what about server/streamer?

Specifically, I have a Synology NAS which I can host ALL my music on, then using a good streamer play off it via Roon/Upnp, PLUS my streaming services.  Does it make sense to use a SEPARATE server JUST for my music? 

Like is there going to be MUCH difference between these setups?!

1. NAS (music server) --> Good Streamer (ethernet, Roon) --> DAC

2. Dedicated Music Server --> Same streamer (ethernet, Roon) --> DAC

3. Dedicated Music Server with streamer (digital out) --> DAC

I understand for SURE, if one connects a NAS USB out to streamer/DAC it will sound WORSE than dedicated music server with low noise components, BUT if I am sending the music over ethernet to a good streamer, WHY would a music server make ANY difference? The streamer would essentially take the same files off my NAS, as if would from Tidal and play in the same fashion... no?! 

WHAT am I missing?!

PS. I can also upgrade the NAS with linear PSU to lower noise, but once again, sending audio through ethernet shouldn't matter.

alexb76

@alexb76 

People are still making claims about digital that have not been true for decades. This is just one of them. There used to be problems with jitter on TOSLINK, but then just don't use it. The rare time you may get jitter on SPDIF if poorly implemented, but then just change the cable length. Noise on SPDIF is a potential issue, so buy something with transformer isolated SPDIF. USB can present electrical system noise, so isolate it. Hard to comment on Ethernet noise. Many claims, nothing to indicate any level of testing. Theoretically possible, so if you feel the need add a filter.  Computers can have noisy power supplies, but then again, linear supplies create awful harmonics on the AC line with lots of current/power. But you can remote your hardware or buy a filter.

Agreed, items like Innuos are simple, and make sense for many audiophiles. Time is money, and most don't have the experience. A lot of the reticence of using PCs as streaming sources is not just USB, but inability to set up the system so that you got bit perfect, and Windows or OSX was not inserting sample rate conversion, limiting, etc. in the middle.

@Op

I applied this approach initially with the Node 2i and I do not notice any obvious difference between music on my PLEX Server- WD PR2100 - versus IDAL on my streamer DAC.

My server with PLEX installed is connected into my router via ethernet as is my stream/DAC.

I find I stream much more than I use my server - I can't recall the last time I bought a CD - mid 2000s. 

The upgrading from the Node 2i to Moon 280D did make a huge sonic improvement.  Lots of options at $2-3.5k price point.  Part of the reason I bought the Moon unit is they advertise they design upgradability into their equipment.  

And my stored music isn't changing format  - so really the only value I get out of new technology capabilities is with new music in high resolution format.  

Hope this is constructive.

You need to say your budget , that’s the biggest limiting factor if you only have $4 -5 k including cables ,power cords , dac  should be themodt expensive for sure 

even a computer can sound pretty good with a ether regen , ad a ddc reclocker 

to the dac , a good streamer server at least $4k with linear power supplies 

cables alone are at least a grand  buy the best you can at least buy a good dac first and good usb cable , 

@soix +1 couldn’t agree more with his take.

First I got an Innous Zenith MK3, then got a decent DAC (Musetec MH-DA005), now finishing it up with the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker.

So start strong, then finish strong and lastly work the in-between to shore up any weakness in your sound chain.

@alexb76 Many, many years ago I ripped my CD library to a Synology NAS using iTunes, installed LMS, and used it for whole house stereo via Squeezebox devices connected to NAD 7140 integrated amps and tower speakers in several rooms.

About 4 years ago, I ditched the Squeezebox devices for RIVA Wand powered speakers. I purchased a 2TB Innous Zenith MKII streamer and a Roon lifetime subscription. I hosted Roon core on the Zenith, and I ripped my CD library to FLAC on the Zenith I had two zones: RAAT in my basement listening room and rec room; and AirPlay to the RIVA Wand speakers on my first and second floors.

A couple of months ago I migrated Roon core and database to a new Mac mini. In my basement, I use Sense and Roon for my first and second floors. IMHO, the Sense SQ exceeds Roon by a wide margin. Both Roon and Sense use the Zenith’s "shared" music library. I stream Tidal, Qobuz, and JazzRadio.com.  If you haven’t yet, give Sense a try if you can. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.