We should reject hard-to-drive speakers more often

Sorry I know this is a bit of a rant, but come on people!!

Too many audiophiles find speakers which are hard to drive and... stick with them!

We need to reject hard-to-drive speakers as being Hi-Fi. Too many of us want our speakers to be as demanding as we are with a glass of wine. "Oh, this speaker sounds great with any amplifier, but this one needs amps that weigh more than my car, so these speakers MUST sound better..."

Speakers which may be discerning of amplifier current delivery are not necessarily any good at all at playing actual music. 

That is all.

erik_squires

I believe it all depends on what the listener wants and is looking for. I have not found an amp that cannot drive my Lascalas, but the quality and characteristics of each amp leaves me to prefer one over the other. I had AR9s, DQ10s, Kappa 9s, Gale 401s, panels, and many other hard to drive speakers. I had many an amp that could drive them without clipping, but they all failed ( the speakers ) in the dynamics department. Like I said, it is up to the listener to select what suits him / her best. Always, MrD.

To reject hard to drive speakers would be to reject many a great sounding speaker. Some speakers that appear hard to drive from a quick glance at basic specs, turns out they are easier to drive than first thought. All depends on where the dips in impedance exist, among other parameters/measurements take the JBL 4309’s for instance....they look to be a difficult load @ 4 ohms and 87 db...however , in real world listening conditions, they are seemingly a pretty easy speaker to drive, based on most positive reviews I’ve read about them.

Pretty much any speaker will PLAY with lower power, but also most good speakers, even "efficient" ones, will sound better with more power (this has nothing to do with the accuracy of the reproduction chain, of course; "loud" does not mean "accurate", obviously.. 

Anyway, Maggies will play OK with low power, but if you want the MOST out of them, more is better,and there is no thing such as "too much" unless you have an amp that misbehaves.  I would guess that is true with any "inefficient" speaker.

Match your hardware to your speakers.  Low "watt" tube amps/integrated will drive your "efficient" speakers nicely, I am sure.  ARC makes a couple, as do others, I am sure.

Cheers!

I’ve generally been keen on having speakers that are higher sensitivity.

Recently, I built a pair of Seas coax speakers. 4 ohm, 80dB efficient. 
Driving them with a 30w class A amp wit( a large power supply 

Not where my sonic interests are - or so I thought.

These things sound amazing! 

Don’t get me wrong. I very much want to build a 15” 100dB coax set up in a coffin sized box, drive them with a SET. But, that’s not an option at the moment. And these low sensitivity speakers have shown me just how good inefficient speakers can sound when powered accordingly.

Im less reluctant to consider difficult speakers after listening to these for the past several months.