We are buying and reviewing gear all wrong

So let's assume that cables, power conditioners and electronics all contribute noticeably to the sounds we hear.

In that case, maybe the idea of buying individual gear, reviewing individual gear, etc. is all messed up.
We should review entire systems, and buy entire systems.

This idea that we constantly shuffle interconnects, speaker and power cords for all our lives is messed up.

We shouldn't be looking at audio stores or reviewers as recommending gear, but themes. Styles. Entire collections all at once.
erik_squires

Showing 2 responses by cd318

@dgarretson , 

"My greatest regret in the hobby is an expensive drawer full of commercial cable purchases."

"I can't think of a single manufacturer with whom I would buy into the construct of single-sourcing purchasing-- including Linn, ATC, and Naim."

I'm with you on both statements. I'd throw in Rega too regarding the latter as I fear they've lost the way a little with their RX speaker line. 

I guess it's difficult but if anyone can crack it in the future it will be ATC. Their loudspeakers (especially actives) have been amongst the most highly regarded for decades.

"@dave_b, The whole audiophile thing really is insane...like disturbingly nuts!! It misses the whole point of the music and having fun. I remember selling HiFi gear back in the early 80’s when you could get a whole system that sounded very engaging for $2-$3 grand. Spent the rest of my life chasing shadows and wondering why I enjoyed music more back then compared to anytime since. Why didn’t the audiophile approved gear simply communicate the emotion and fun of the music more readily? Maybe that much maligned mid bass hump was actually a good thing...at least it sounded more like a real band playing. Too much over dampening and flat frequency response angst ruined audio for me. Live music is crazy dynamic and loud with energy you can feel...it is not flat or damped!"

There’s more than a few of us asking similar questions.

Who exactly are all these people relentlessly whispering (sometimes shouting) empty promises that lead nowhere in our ears?

Why do they do it?

What do they hope to gain?