Was I Expecting Too Much

Hi everyone.  I'm looking for a heading check with a situation I encountered yesterday.  

Background:

I'm planning to upgrade my turntable later this year - Q3 is my target.  After my research, I've narrowed down to AMG and Brinkmann.  I was able to audition an AMG Viella yesterday, and was looking to audition a Bardo or Taurus for comparison.  I know my thought of trying to fit in a Brinkmann demo was last-minute, and some dealers are particular when it comes to appointments and allowing them time to setup their demo.  

The Situation:

So I called the local Brinkmann dealer and inquired to see if a bardo or taurus happened to be setup.  The salesman I spoke with said they had both, and he was going to check if a demo was possible.  After a few minutes, I get a phone call back from the owner who seemed rather dismissive of my request.  I explained that I'm currently doing my research and looking to hear some demos to help down-select, and that my purchase would be a few months from now.  He asked for my budget which I found strange as I already stated what I was interested in demoing.  Then the conversation turned to what gear I already own, which I understand sort-of.  Then the owner basically said it doesn't make sense for me to demo anything now and to call back when I'm ready to purchase.  

How am I going to know what I want to purchase without demoing the options?

Was I expecting too much by asking to hear equipment that I'm interested in?  My opinion is a sale isn't guaranteed and an audio dealer, just like any other dealer, needs to invest some reasonable amount of time to capture a sale.  You don't capture all the sales, but I didn't think I was being unreasonable in my request and certainly was not trying to waste anyone's time.  I was pretty transparent with where I'm at and I guess he was reciprocating my transparency by telling me to go away.  I felt "less-than" by this experience.  As if I wasn't worth investing any time into.

Thoughts?

cbl117

Another thought - for $16k +/-, I'd look into the Stabi R and Kuzma 4P - there are good Kuzma dealers in the greater Los Angeles area where you might be able to audition the table/arm.  At that price point, the tables are pretty comparable.

I know the dealers in question, it’s not difficult… High end audio… especially analog shops are a relatively SMALL world… and in LA.. other than…MAYBE judging by the leased car…. well… who knows…

i should mention, i have a Bardo, etc. I frequently hear the next models up ( and the $ competitive Kuzma )  I might also strongly suggest a trip to San Diego… the dealer there… earns most of my California business… i drive a ratty GL-550 with 180 k miles on the ticker…. i enjoy them and they provide a relaxing environment w about 20 k records for sale…its an analog crack den…

Bardo w HRS class isolation, a suitable arm and cartridge are about $20k. i run a Triplaner and either a Lyra Delos or Kuzma CAR-40. at the low end the combo is $20 ish… The heavy Taurus, does sound better …. it’s subtle….and supports the additional arm = $. While the Brinkmann arms offer excellent value…i obviously went a different way.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

I also get the opportunity to hear a Kuzma TT w a 4point on a minus K…. not side bt side against the Brinkmann… i think blind many would struggle to find a super clear winner…i don’t believe it fits but a 4point on a Brinkmann would be fun…. ha

I agree with those who've already, much more politely, characterized the dealer you referenced as a pugnacious, arrogant schmuck. It doesn't matter where his or her shop is or which clientele he caters to. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior. I wouldn't buy a thing from such a curmudgeon. I'd also suggest contacting Brinkman and informing them of this experience. I'm certain they'd want to know and, more importantly, they may be able to help you schedule a demo with a dealer with an infinitely better disposition and offer a financial peace offering, to boot. Good luck!