warmer pre-amp for Adcom GFA 555II

Definitive Technology BP20s bi-amp with Adcom GFA 555IIs and a GFP 555II pre-amp. SignalCable Analog2 ICs and double run single wire speaker cables. Too bright for my taste at higher volume levels. Considering replacing the pre-amp and looking for recommendations, something I can buy used for 500 or so. The Adcoms require 1.75v.
Audio Research LS3?

thanks
gabus

Showing 2 responses by gmood1

Hello Gabus,
I and another Agoner have had great results using a Dared SL-2000a tubed preamp with the 585 Adcoms.It has plenty of gain and matches nicely with the impedence.It is extremely quiet no hums or hiss. You also get a RF remote all for around $300.00 new.It has two inputs ..no phono. I have yet to see one put up for sale on the used market since they were released.I have a audiophile friend that has owned hundreds of pieces of Audiophile equipment from speakers,amps.. to preamps (he has albums of pictures to prove it).He is still amazed at how good this preamp is!That should tell you something about the product and the happy audiophiles that own them.

Good Luck!
Gabus you can email Joe.His Agon username is Jpzhou.He normally auctions the Dareds on Audiogon and Ebay.I have no affiliation with this company ..just a happy customer.I think there's one or two Dared dealers on this site as well.The A versions are the models with the remotes.I also own some Deftecs and use them for HT...In this department they are king in my book! Take your time and enjoy the trip as far as the upgrade road goes. If you go Dared ..you will find it's very refined with a beautiful midrange and great low level detail.I compared it to a $2000.00 tubed preamp(name undisclosed) and the Dared made this highly regarded unit sound like the singers had cotton stuffed down their throats! So generalizing on prices isn't the ticket when comparing this stuff.You will eventually retire the Deftecs to HT duty in time I am sure... if you are into two channel music.And depending on the selection of speakers you will find your 555 isn't as harsh as you might think.I have fallen asleep while listening to music because it was so soothing ..so harshness isn't something I can deal with while listening to music.

I suggest going with some used magneplanars or electrostats if your music falls into this kind of refinement.There's also a reason why some of these guys on this forum have the same Quads or Maggies they bought 15 yrs ago..hooked to an amp they bought 15 yrs ago.Simple put they haven't heard anything that was leaps and bounds more pleasing than it.And see no reason to waste the money trying to impress other people.

Have Fun and Enjoy the Trip! It is the Best Part!