Warmer CD sound sought - MCD 301 or 500 or REF CD7

As much as I have enjoyed my Levinson 390S for many years now, I am finding that I prefer a warmer sound. I am considering McIntosh's MCD 301 & MCD 500, and the ARC REF CD7. I realize these 3 players purchased new are quite different from each other in price. What I am looking for is input from any who have compared two or more of these, and for those who have, what differences did you discern? And since the subject players cover a large price range, I would also be happy to learn about other recommendations, especially toward the lower end of the $3000 to $9000 price range.

I listen to vocals, jazz, solo instrumental, classical, some rock, and a little blues. The rest of my primary system is Levinson gear driving Sonus Faber Auditor M's with a REL B-2.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestions anyone can share!

Steven
4musica44107

Showing 1 response by eweedhome

I spent several years trying to warm up the sound of my system, particularly on the CD side. It's not easy. I was disapointed in the ARC "house" sound, but I have never had the CD7 in my home. I think the ARC house sound is kind of cool and analytical (and I think that's the general view). I also tried a Mac pre-amp, and was similarly disappointed. The CD player in your range that I like (and bought) was the EAR Acute. It's pretty darn warm and laid back. But I prefer the EMM CDSA SE--unfortunately at more than twice the price. For what it's worth, before you spend your money, do whatever you have to do to get your prospective purchase into your system where you can hear how it will really sound. I don't think either of the brands you're considering are especially noted as being "warm" sounding.

Good luck.