Want to upgrade my Adcom GFP 565 preamplifier

I want to upgrade to a better preamp that will not cost over $1200, used. I like my current system but can't help but feeling the GFP is the limiting factor, especially in the high's. Any suggestions for a solid state preamp?

System:
JMLab 806s
2 NHT 10 Passive subs
B&K 202+, High
Adcom 5500. Low
Marchand XM9 crossover
Arcam CD72
JVC 1100
128x128tkyc

Showing 2 responses by swanny76109

I would second the GFP750--very smooth and great soundstage. High quality components for the price. Can be used in active or passive mode--the passive is extremely neutral with a nice deep soundstage if you like that. Imaging is really tight, good sense of space. Bass extension is very good, and treble sounds airy. Just a very neutral sound in pure class A. Plenty of good reviews and discussion threads. Can run balanced and sounds best in that mode as it has true balanced design. Newer designs probably better this one, but for your setup it would be great (and for the price can't be beat.)
The 750 is far from clinical and lifeless. I think it is extremely musical and true to whatever source you feed it. The top end is extremely smooth, at least in the passive mode. Active mode, not so much--so maybe that is the criticism. I think many preamps are a bit too forward for my taste and that is why I like the passive mode. But you do lose some dynamics depending on your set up. I think the negative reviews are snobbery. But to each his/her own. Resale seems strong on these. I don't think you could go wrong if you tried it, didn't like it, and wanted to resell, but you'd want to pick one up for less than 750. Make sure you get the original, made in USA model with blue circuit board--it supposedly sounds better than the later made in Taiwan model with red board, and make sure you get orig box, manual, remote, etc........I have never tried a tube pre. Have thought about it but am not crazy about the heat, bias issues, maintenance, etc. Keep us posted!