Want to branch out from iTunes; several questions.

Currently using iTunes, importing CDs using Apple lossless encoder on a Mac Mini, have a thunderbolt external hard drive holding my iTunes library, outputting via optical 3.5mm headphone outlet to USB on a Schitt Yiggy DAC using Audionirvana via iTunes.  I want to continue to improve the accessibility and quality while still using the Mac Mini as a source.  Eventually, I will upgrade to a music streamer but not yet.  I am not computer savvy but am familiar with the Mac environment.  My music is classic rock > classical.  

1. I plan on subscribing to ROON (using an iPad to control my music) and using a NAS to hold my library as I understand that is the most efficient method:  is there a specific format/file system that the audio files need to be put into a folder on the NAS or can I just rip the CD files to the NAS folder or drag and drop other pre-existing files?
  2. Being familiar with only iTunes, what CD ripper is recommended?  What ripping settings are recommended?
  3. Comparing the following, downloading FLAC files or ripping SACDs of the same album, which would provide better quality?  Compared to a regular audio CD, how much better? 
  4. I do have a McIntosh MVP 861 that plays SACD and outputs via 5.1 unbalanced outputs.  Is there any quality difference playing the SACD directly vs ripping to a NAS?
  5. Reading up on the ROON Nucleus, this seems the best option for me for audio quality and ease of set up and use, given less computer sophistication on my part.  Are there other quality ROON compatible streamers that one would consider?
  6. Am I missing any fundamental issues when upgrading my computer audio? 
ymc226

Showing 1 response by ymc226

Thanks dbtom2,  I am reading through all of the info on Roon.  Has anyone used their NAS as a server?