Walsh Ohm 100 MKII; anybody owned these?

I understand that Ohm has recently begun shipping their Walsh speakers with their new Series 3 drivers. I am interested in trying out a pair of their Walsh 100 MKII's (pairing it with my Unison Research Unico integrated) and am wondering if anybody has any experience and impressions of these speakers, and what kind of amps they pair best with? I am interested to know what improvements the series 3 drivers bring to the Ohm's, I plan on speaking to John about it sometime this week.
glitch947

Showing 3 responses by glitch947

Thanks for the info everybody. I have a pair of oak Walsh Super 2's (an old model cabinet) with the new Series 3 drivers ordered and I should have it paired with my Unico within two weeks. I look forward to hearing how it sounds; will post impressions as soon as they're broken in.
600w?! Wow, I hope the Series 3 drivers for the Walsh 100's can do well with my 80 watts of hybrid power from my Unico. I figure that if I like the Super 2 w/Series 3 drivers enough, I'll eventually sell my Unico and replace it with a modded Bel Canto S300 which would give me 60 more watts of power for a total of 140. Hopefully, though, the 80 watts will be plenty for the new driver in the Walsh 100's. I'll let you all know how they sound when they get here.
Received the Walsh 2's with series 3 drivers yesterday, exactly 7 days after I ordered them from John- thats pretty damn fast. Packing was very, very secure, a triple-boxed setup that ensured everything arrived without a scratch on it. I am running the speakers continuously now and breaking in both the speakers and the Zu Wax cables that I'm running them with.

Initial impressions are very positivel; an expansive soundstage, nice positioning of instruments (I imagine they could be more precise but this is as precise as I've heard), a nice full-bodied presentation which I like, these are very listenable speakers. One thing that I have noticed and that I like is how the speakers don't shove the sound directly at you, but rather throw it in a wide arc more or less behind the speakers. In my limited experience with other speakers, most speakers throw the sound at you, and as you turn up the volume it sort of forces its way into your head, if that makes any sense. What I like about these so far is that they allow you to appreciate the music but also not feel constricted by it, they do an exceptional job of creating aural space around you. Live albums especially sound good, as they really convey spaces well. I've only been running them for about 12 hours now, things should be improving and I look forward to hearing how they change. I'll post more impressions in a few days when they're further along.