Wadia 861 or keep Electrocompaniet mk2

Since I only listen to my CDP I am thinking about a Wadia 861 Basic to replace my Electrocompaniet and bypass my BAT VK50se preamp. My system also includes a Cary V12I and a pair of Verity Audio Fidelio's. Anyone have any experience or opinions about this? I have heard pros and cons to going direct. Thanks in advance for any and all imput.

Bill
itsalldark

Showing 1 response by ejlif

It does seem like a waste to have a top notch preamp when you only need one source, especially when there are such great direct to amp CD players out there. I'm like you I only listen to CDs and have no need for switching sources. Plus there is the issue of another set of interconnect another power cord and vibration control for two components opposed to one. Wadia players are nice and reliable with great build quality, but I tend to agree with Tireguy, that something like the Audio Aero Capitole Mk 2 is the way to go if you want to go direct. I have owned the Wadia 860x and Capitole 2 (both at the same time for a few months) and did a lot of comparing. The bottom line is that the Capitole sounds best in my opinion. I have never heard a modded by Great Northern Sound Wadia. Wadia in comparison sounds slightly veiled, like there is an electronic edge to the sound, where I would sum up the sound of the Capitole by calling it natural. I would guess that you might be a little put off by the Wadia sound after your BAT/Electo combo, unless of course you are looking for something entirely different.