Wadia 861 GNSC Reference Upgrade

Can anyone comment on the Reference upgrade from GNSC. Was the difference huge or did you need to sit back and spend time with it. I understand that there is break in time involved with the upgrade. Did this upgrade bring your system closer to analog sound and would you recommend having it done? I have a simple one source system which consists of a Cary V-12R with the oil cap upgrade, Verity Audio Fideio speakers, Siltech IC's, Elrod PC's and Silver Audio symphony 48 speaker cables. Thank you in advance for any and all imput!
itsalldark

Showing 1 response by bombaywalla

I use Algorithm B. I did not like Algo C as it seems that the midrange has been boosted, which (naturally) emphasizes the mids @ the expense of the rest of the spectrum. I listened to Algo A & here the music presented as tho one was sitting in, say, row C. The music is a bit in-your-face (just as it should be when one is in row C!). This is not always to my liking.
Algo B is a sort of mid-hall presentation. When you sit mid-hall, the room/hall acoustics come into play & the sound is more diffuse. The instruments, OTOH, can be better identified 'cuz the further away you go from the stage, the sound integrates/comes together. When one is in row C, the sound has just left the instruments on the stage & so the ear is flooded w/ individual sounds coming from each instrument. It's great in 1 way as you can hear each instrument but it's bad in another way as it gives the feeling of "separate sound". Algo B does a better job of giving you "together sound". (Ha! what funny terms I have coined!!! I couldn't think of any better way to describe the sound as I hear it. So, please bear w/ me).
Anyway, there are some rock CDs for which Algo A is best but most of my Jazz & Blues CDs I use Algo B.
FWIW. YMMV.