Wadia 850 and Spectral DMA 150 matching without pre-amp

Can I directly connect a Wadia 850 to a Spectral DMA 150 without using a Spectral pre-amp?

I understand that the Spectral pre-amp give very current output (upto 1 amp) and a maixinum voltage of 100v peak for the power-amp. The guy at my local audio shop advised that Wadia/Spectral power amp direct connect would give poor dynamic range. However, I am not quite understand the reasons behind it.

Would anybody give me some advise.
vtin

Showing 3 responses by vtin

Hello Nathanu,

You blew out your speakers (what speakers did you use?) but why send your Wadia back?

Did you blew your tweeters or the bass?
I have received the following email from other Audiogon member:

" I have a Wadia 850. The dealer I bought it from was also a Spectral dealer. I asked about that possiblity. They told me that they had DAMAGED a Wadia 850 by directly connecting it to a Spectral amp.

I think the problem is that the Spectral input will force the Wadia into ocillation at high frequencies. Most amps cut off above 22Khz or so, but not the Spectral. Certain cables might attenutate higher frequencies.

Be careful trying this!! "

I have consulted a few high end audio experts and they all advised me that the above problem is not possible.

Your advise would be much appreciated.

This following is the email reply from Wadia on this topic:

Thank you for your email message and loyalty to Wadia. I must inform you that the customer, Joe, is correct about the incapability between the Wadia 850 and the Spectral amplifiers. We are uncertain as to why these two components do not work well together, but we have unfortunately found that these units are not compatible. Spectral amplifiers are the only brand of amplifiers that we have found to be incompatible with the Wadia. I hope that this is helpful.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance at this time.

Best Regards,

Jennifer ZehrGrimm
Sales Coordinator