Wadia 170iTransport - To mod, or not to mod?

It's been about a year now with my iTransport so I thought it was time to research mods and get opinions, recommendations.

I became interested after recently seeing the CIAudio VDC 9.0 power supply. Would this make a difference though since I plug mine into a Walker VelocitorS already? It's almost the price of the iTransport too. Plus it would require another power cord.

I'm sure there's various internal parts that would benefit, but the only other mod I had considered was upgrading the SPDIF RCA jack to a WBT NextGen Ag. I wonder if Wadia has made any changes since mine?
sakahara

Showing 6 responses by usarmyvet91

Nrostov go to computeraudiophile.com type in teardown wadia i transport and click search. Chris of computeraudiophile does a complete review of the wadia i170 and takes it apart to see whats in it. You can also read the posted commets by empirical audio about the pcm270x chip found in the wadia and J. gordan Rankin of wavelength audio said " the ipod is a great product but it's a mobile personal player. Use as a high end transport is a waste of time" It seems to me that many of these guys who design digital gear say that putting in any sort of clock into the itransport is a wast of money, your better of on getting an outboard clock. I hope that your asi mod is as good as they say however i think is a big rip off.
Bombaywalla thx for the info. computeraudiophile is a good site for the latest in computer audio info.
Nrostov i should't have said i think asi mods are a rip off because i have not listen to their mods however people that i have spoken to in the audio business tell me that putting any kind of clocks really don't work. I guess the only way to find out is when you get your back.
Noshortcuts your right the couple of people that i have talked to in the mod and audio business tell me that clocks will not work inside of the wadia. Then turn around and try to sell me their outboard jitter device that has a clock in it, go figure.
Bombaywalla it sounds like from what your said, the best way to improve the sound/jitter of the wadia i170 is to use a good outboard clock. I know empricial audio has one called pace car 2 very good reviews, i think it can cost as much as 2,000 if you get it fully loaded.
Their are quite a few companies doing mods: Great northern sound co. i have one, Hot rod audio mods, asi and auidocom-uk.com my mod from GNS was around $750 that was including the wadia i170. Some mods can run as high as $1,800 from asi they claim their modded wadia can sound as good as the best cd transports from esoteric and cec.