Wadia 170i Ipod Dock Vs Onkyo ND S1 Ipod Dock

I had both the Wadia 170i Ipod dock and the Onky ND-S1 Ipod Docks which both take pure quality digital sound directly off the Ipod/Itouch and bypass poorer sounding analog output.

I found that I didn't like the lack of an on light with the Wadia and the way it seemed to stop working with even a slight transient variation in current such as caused by changing the output downstream on my preamp, etc.

I found that the Onkyo sounds every bit as good and has an on light and a superior remote, and all of this for about half the price.

The Onkyo is hard to find but can be imported from Japan as it is not yet marketed in the US yet. The power supply that comes with it works perfectly with out USA 110-120 60Hz current.
128x128plangco

Showing 2 responses by hammy

I just bought the pure 1-20 from their online store...Have yet to receive it,but everyone on these forums who bought one has loved it, which is not something the Wadia has going for it. $100 bucks - pure.com. Google it for reviews.
Pure I-20 is a winner at $100 (pure.com). It is simple, outputs raw digital to your DAC and has video outputs etc. Even the onboard chip DAC is an improvement over the Ipod. It charges the Ipod and has a small remote to control the ipod while it's in the dock.