VTL ST-150 w/ B&W

Not looking to hear thoughts on sonics (although feel free) as much as I am interested to hear what Tube people think about this combination with a 805s or 804s. I have had tubes with SS for a while, and now that I have the taste I want it all, from top to bottom I want tubes.

Just worried about inefficiency of a speaker, although the newer B&W's are rated at 90db, although they like to hang out in the 4ohm range alot.

Any thought would be much appreciated.
jc51373

Showing 1 response by plangco

If you put B&W 805s at or near the side walls of your listening room around the 10:00 and 2:00 position and tilt them inward toward the center of the listening area you will get close to the bass of a floorstanding 804 and increase the midrange while cuting back a bit on the overly bright B&W treble. Another great adjustment is an equalizer. The Behringer Ultracurve Pro is an excellent current choice and several older models can be had on Audiogon or Ebay made by Luxman, Audio Control, Soundcraftsmen, or the lower priced but good Yamaha and Harman Kardon EQs.

Two sets of speakers with one pair put on the side walls of the listening room described above and another set straight ahead in the standard position (if only one set use on sides first) will cause a quantum sonic increase in the quality of the perceived sound because of the synergistic merging of tonalities intrinsic in each location and obvious improvement in imaging. This setup will actually cause your amp to perform better also and give you higher quality sound at lower levels if needed and true concert hall sound effects.