VTL ST-150 vs... ?

Hi all, I'm currently evaluating amps and so far the one I am "settling" on is the VTL ST-150. It has a big expressive sound with great, rich texture and natural timbre, but everything has faults and for me the VTL could use some more focused imaging and is a bit dark sounding. Plus, I would prefer solid state to avoid the heat and maintenance of tubes (class AB over class A would be great).

So, people who have owned or have experience with this amp, what have you moved onto or chosen over it in a similar price range ($1.5k - $2.5k used) and why?

Associated gear:
Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor
Placette Passive Linestage
MHDT Havana DAC
eugene81

Showing 1 response by cheesehead

I went from the ST 150 on to the 185 Signatue Mono's and have not looked back. The 185's were noticeably "leaner" sounding, even after experimenting with different tubes,
but I have come to appreciate that in my current set up.

I also sent my VTL 5.5 line stage in and had it bumped from version 2 to version 3 which made a difference.
I had a favorite SS amp for years, and was amazed when going head to head with the 185's the SS amp couldn't duplicate the bass response of the tubes. Never tried the same comparo with the ST-150 but suspect similar results.

I am not one to get stuck on brand loyalty, but I do appreciate what VTL bringss to the table (house sound if you will) in all of their gear (had the 2.5 with phono stage, have the 5.5 LS), so I will move up their food chain again when the need arrises.