VTL MB450 monos Vs. BAT VK 60se monos?

I am currently using a solid state amp. I recently replaced a McIntosh SS pre-amp with the BAT VK51se pre-amp that I bought off AGON. WOW this move was a step in the right direction. Not a small step but a big one. So, I want to move to tubes for my amp too. These are the two set-ups that I am considering. Input would be greatly appreciated.
imformusa

Showing 2 responses by jfrech

Depends a little on you speakers and room. Source as well.

But I am partial to recommending you stick with BAT here. The VK60SE mono's are a steal for the performance and a perfect match for you pre amp.

The VTL's are great amps to, no issues there. Just the synergy gained from a BAT pre and BAT amp combo is something special I believe.

Good luck !
The BAT SE Amps are more even handed and extended on the top and bottom. You'll get those 3d soundstages and beautful timbres.

With your speakers, that BAT vk60se mono's will have plenty of power.

I do recommend having a few spare 6c33b output tubes. and fuses. The amp autobias', so a tube and fuse is plug and play. About as hard as changing a light bulb. (JUST MAKE SURE AMP IS POWERED OFF AND tubes are relatively cool)

My experience of about 8 yrs on using BAT tube amps is the 6c33b output tubes are prone to failure, but one you have a set working, they seem to work. When you put in a new set of tubes, one may fail in a few days/weeks. It's the nature of these tubes, not the amp. The tubes are about $40 each.

I have owned a VK60, VK75SE, now 150SE mono's...

If you like your preamp, this amp and pre combo is killer.