VTL MB250 sig or Nuforce Ref9 SE

Between those two amps which would the majority pick?. The rest is Usher Berylium BE-718, MFA pre MC one ref, Esoteric/ Victor K2 Dac
hi5

Showing 2 responses by rfogel8

No contest, go with the VTLs. I've owned and auditioned many SS and tube amps over the years and the MB-250 Sig's are still one of my favorites. Though I've heard many good SS amps, I've yet to hear one that competes with tubes when it comes to putting flesh on the bones and creating "palpable" images.

The 250s are wired for triode and sound way better than the MB-450s which are switchable. At 250wpc they've got plenty of power, they're very extended in both directions, throw a big open transparent soundstage and have wonderful layering and imaging.

I'd say their tonal balance leans a bit on the warmer side of neutral but they never sound thick or slow. On the contrary, they've got plenty of speed and tight bass with excellent pitch definition.

Though they may cost a few bucks more a month to operate than typical class AB SS amps or switching amps(yuk), sonically they'll be sooo much more enjoyable and believable and isn't that what this hobby is all about?

One more thing, I owned the MB-250s for almost seven years and put a lot of time on them while I owned them. During that period of time I did one re-tube and had two other power tubes go bad after several hundred hours. When a tube goes it usually takes a fuse with it. No big deal; replace the bad tube, replace the fuse, re-bias the new tube and within minutes you're back listening to music. No sending the unit back to the factory like some other manufacturers.

Happy Hunting!
Hi5, Glad to give you my 2 cents. While there are lots of choices and even more opinions, you really can't go wrong with the 250s. Regards