VTL MB-450 with Maggies

I would like to ask if anyone has compared the VTL MB-450 with a comparable ARC amp on Magnepans (3.6/R´s)?
I hear that VTL is releasing new series II versions of the MB-450 with the new "smart-tube" technology.
hasse

Showing 5 responses by theduker

I have 3 mb-450 and they sounds smashing with Magnepan 3.6, a match made in heaven, in my opinion. I have audio research vm220 Monoblocks as well, and I like them with the Magnepan as well. It's only been 5 days since my VTL amps have arrived, and I just hooked the audio research back up to compare. Personally, I love them both, and would recommend either. I believe VTL is a more romantic and lush sound, and the arc product is a little more crisp. I have seen them compared to cocktails- the VTL sounds like a rum and coke, and the arc sounds like a gin and tonic. They both are perfect on the Magnepan 3.6.
I have 3 mb-450 and they sounds smashing with Magnepan 3.6, a match made in heaven, in my opinion. I have audio research vm220 Monoblocks as well, and I like them with the Magnepan as well. It's only been 5 days since my VTL amps have arrived, and I just hooked the audio research back up to compare. Personally, I love them both, and would recommend either. I believe VTL is a more romantic and lush sound, and the arc product is a little more crisp. I have seen them compared to cocktails- the VTL sounds like a rum and coke, and the arc sounds like a gin and tonic. They both are perfect on the Magnepan 3.6.
### update, I upgraded to Magnepan 20.1's, and I have to say that they are a better match for the vtl mb450 than the 3.6 Magnepans were. A very worthy upgrade!
I should follow up this thread to clarify WHY I thought the VTL MB-450 was better matched to the Magnepan 20.1 than the 3.6.

The Magnepan 20.1 goes a lot deeper, basswise, than the 3.6 did, and allows the VTL MB-450 to perform optimally, in my opinion, while with the 3.6, I didn't think the speaker was truly letting the amplifier perform at its peak. However, for you (smart!) people who love Headroom, there's nothing to complain about, no matter how you slice it...

I am still an Audio Research owner, and in addition to the VM220 monos and the aforementioned VTL MB-450 Monoblocks, I have added VTL MB-300 and Audio Research Classic 150 to the stable.
I should further specify that my VTL amps are the older, Signature versions, the new ones are more easily configurable, so I hear, as they have adjustable feedback and I am also told they have better bass.

But in all honesty, i don't feel there is any need for improvement, as the bass my amplifiers make is awesome, and I love it! IMO there is no more realistic rendition, in my opinion, of a "stand up" bass (acoustic bass, double bass) that you could ask for... Instead of upgrading, I just bought another pair...