VTL MB 450 sig v cj prem 8a's v Mac MC 501's

I sold my beloved prem 8a's last year and have been on a search for a SS replacement that would fix the short comings of the prem 8a (and take away the tube hassle). namely - bass not that well controlled when playing my Vienna Mahlers, upper bass a bit fat and smearing into the lower midrange, lack of transparency in those area's, and a bit noisy. from the upper mids to treble the prem 8a's are musical heaven.

So far I have listened to cj prem 350, krell 300 cx, bryston 7BSST, JC-1's, pass X350 and Mac MC501's, the 501's have been the best of the lot. Unfortunately the Mac's in my system exibit a bit of glare/brightness in the lower treble and when you turn the SS amps up loud they don't seem to be as effortless and muisical as my old tube amps.

I am now thinking that I just like tube amps and what they do. I have a VTL 7.5 pre and are looking at the VTL MB 450 signature's. Unfortunately I cannot listen to them before buying.
Would appreciate if anyone has had direct experience with the VTL's for your opinion if the 450 will eleviate some of the cj shortcomings - namely bass control and transparency, while keeping that tube mid and treble magic.

thanks Shane
downunder

Showing 1 response by loontoon

Can;t speak to the VTL 450's but can speak to the Manley 350's with KT90's.

Bass is awesome, toob rolling currently as the amps are ever so slightly recessed in the mids, un-toob like.

Am currently driving with a SS amp, so hard to tell where the recession is coming from. Driving Maggies, and finding vintage toobs are realy perking things up.

Next will roll caps and am looking to hear the Juicy Music in my system, it's on the way.

I suggest if you need woof control and are dead set on toobs there are only a handful of choices, AR 300, CJ300, Manley and VTL's.

There may be others but not that I know of.

I can say that compared to my Threshold S300 II amp, the Manleys pick the Maggies up by the scruff of the neck and shake them.

Also so guy in Grand Rapids has VTL 300 MB's on the Gon for less than 2500, it would probably make a cheap experiment as you can probably get all of your money back if you want to sell them.

It's a 6550 based amp, and mine is KT90 based.

loon