VTL MB 450 sig v cj prem 8a's v Mac MC 501's

I sold my beloved prem 8a's last year and have been on a search for a SS replacement that would fix the short comings of the prem 8a (and take away the tube hassle). namely - bass not that well controlled when playing my Vienna Mahlers, upper bass a bit fat and smearing into the lower midrange, lack of transparency in those area's, and a bit noisy. from the upper mids to treble the prem 8a's are musical heaven.

So far I have listened to cj prem 350, krell 300 cx, bryston 7BSST, JC-1's, pass X350 and Mac MC501's, the 501's have been the best of the lot. Unfortunately the Mac's in my system exibit a bit of glare/brightness in the lower treble and when you turn the SS amps up loud they don't seem to be as effortless and muisical as my old tube amps.

I am now thinking that I just like tube amps and what they do. I have a VTL 7.5 pre and are looking at the VTL MB 450 signature's. Unfortunately I cannot listen to them before buying.
Would appreciate if anyone has had direct experience with the VTL's for your opinion if the 450 will eleviate some of the cj shortcomings - namely bass control and transparency, while keeping that tube mid and treble magic.

thanks Shane
downunder

Showing 1 response by ejlif

I have the VTL 450s and just got a pair of Parasound Halos. I always felt that the bass was a bit weak on the 450s and that the speakers I'm using (Von Schweikert VR4Jrs) would benefit from high powered solid state. The bass is definately more there with the Halos, but you do give up the tube magic for solid state accuracy. Overall I'm not sure I could live with the solid state gear, but who knows over time I may warm up to the solid state sound. The Halos are not harsh or bright sounding by any margin. The Halos do run semi hot, but nothing compared to the massive amounts of heat rolling off the 450s. That is my main gripe with the 450s in fact after the weak bass.