VTL 450 or Parasound JC-1

Im thinking of upgrading to VTL 450s or Parasoung JC-1s. Currently running Wadia 861, Supratek Chennin pre amp, Vandersteen 2CE Sigs, Kimber Bifocal XL spkr cable and Cardas Golden Cross interconect. Room is 15x31 with system on long wall. Is the Parasound in the same league as the VTLs? Ive heard the VTLs and love them but I cant help but wonder with the price being almost half with the JC-1s. Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks
braro

Showing 1 response by perfectionist

Kurt_tank,

You haven't read any glowing reviews on the JC-1's???
Are you living under a rock??? :)

I went from Manley Neo-Classic 250's to JC-1's. While I loved my Manley's dearly, I could never go back.
I know they are not VTL 450's, but sonically, they're probably very similar.

Braro, the first thing to look at is, what kind of music do you listen to? That's what's going to drive which direction you go. I listen mostly to rock, blues and some jazz fusion. But these JC-1's are so sweet and mellow I've even gotten into female vocalist's, thanks to my girlfriend. Even horns, which I often find unlistenable with SS amps, are wonderful. Now the JC-1's still don't do vocals and horns as well as big tube amps, but the dynamics, bass slam and sheer power of these amps are worth the (slight) trade off.
I'm telling you, with the proper gear, these amps are amazing and smooth and sweet.

They DO take a long time to break-in, upwards of 1400 hours, and that is fact, not fiction.
Also, to realize the full potential of these wonderful amps, it is imperative to run them in balanced mode.
Mine have over 1700 hours on them and they continue to open up and get better and better.
And I KNOW I won't be upgrading for a long time, if ever.

Do your homework and spend your money wisely.