VTL 450 or Parasound JC-1

Im thinking of upgrading to VTL 450s or Parasoung JC-1s. Currently running Wadia 861, Supratek Chennin pre amp, Vandersteen 2CE Sigs, Kimber Bifocal XL spkr cable and Cardas Golden Cross interconect. Room is 15x31 with system on long wall. Is the Parasound in the same league as the VTLs? Ive heard the VTLs and love them but I cant help but wonder with the price being almost half with the JC-1s. Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks
braro

Showing 2 responses by bigtee

I agree with Sdcampbell, upgrade the speakers. The 2ce's will not allow that much of an improvement to come through with the better amps. They are not nearly as defined as the 3a Sigs. I just feel you would be wasting money throwing that kind of amp at the 2ce's.
My vote goes for the VTL's by the way. I never really warmed up to the JC-1's. I can't exactly put my finger on it but they sounded a little wrong to me. Music didn't seem to have that real naturalness and/or the soundstage depth seemed slightly shy.
I currently use an Ayre V5x which, while not offering the slam of the JC-1(which I don't need with the subs) nor the brute strength(which to me is the JC-1's forte), gives the presentation a more natural feeling (refined like a tube amp.) I personally think it has to do with the negative feedback in the JC-1 vs the zero feedback Ayre. I think it is in the way both amps handle phase and timing issues. However, for the money, the JC-1 offers a lot and I can see people liking it. I just don't think it is the best choice for Vandersteen's IMO.
At any rate, I use the 3A Sigs and 2Wq's. It offers a large advantage of the 2Ce's. When I was contemplating the switch from the 2Ce Sigs, Vandersteen himself convinced me the 3A Sigs were the way to go before any other changes.
The 3A Sigs are capable of a very high level of resolution WHEN set up correctly. They perform very well with tubes. In fact, the big man himself generally uses tubes.
Be careful with cable matching and all should be well indeed.
I think if you like what you have, this combo will take you over the top. Let the speakers break in for a while also.
As a side note, Ayre uses 3A sigs in their sound room. I think there is an obvious synergy with their equipment.