VPI tone arm set up

Wanting to get back into analog, I just completed all my purchases (here on Audiogon) and am ready to start putting everything together. I have a VPI Aries 1 turntable, a VPI JMW 9 Sig. tonearm and a Shelter 501 mk11 cartridge I have mounted to a Cartridge Man Isolator. My question is- I understand the distance between the spindle and tone arm pivot is to be 223mm. Are they talking about center of turntable spindle to center of tonearm pivot? Also, I purchsed a VPI tonearm jig and noticed it only has 1 null point (inner, closest to turntable spindle) where as other jigs I've seen have 2 null points. Will this align correctly?
markpao

Showing 3 responses by markus1299

I have the same turn table and arm that you have and went through the learning curve with set up information ETC. At the end I found that the Mint Tractor was by far the best set up tool available for this combination. The difference in sound between the VPI set up and the Mint Tractor blew me away. Google "Mint Tractor", you will not be sorry and I'm in no way associated with any kind of sales for this tool. I just know it really does work.
I have the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood and until I really spent some time and dialed it in, I was disappointed. The Mint Tractor was what brought it around and now it surpasses my Cary 306 SACD. Problem seems to be finding really good Vinyl.