VPI Super Platter

From what I read here and at AA it appears the general consensus is that the Super Platter is a fairly significant upgrade from the all acrylic platters on the newer Scoutmaster and Aries turntables. However, I have an older Aries 1 with a fairly heavy platter that resembles in appearance, the Super Platter. Any Aries 1 owners know the one I am talking about? Would the Super Platter be as significant an upgrade to this platter as it is to the acrylic ones? Also, does the inverted bearing that comes with the Super Platter represent a significant improvement over the bearing I already have. My Aries is about 6 years old and has the JMW 10 tonearm. I also have the SDS.
randyhat

Showing 2 responses by rcj1231

I have tried several different platters on my TNT. I have found that with my TNT, the original delrin/lead platter sounds much better to me than either the thick all acrylic or acrylic/stainless steel platters. Although the steel platters weigh more and may theoretically have added speed stability, I have found the lead platters have much better resonance control and liveliness. I found the acrylic steel platters have a ring to them I didn't like. The all acrylic platter just sounds dead to me. I didn't find any noticeable difference with the inverted vs. non-inverted bearing, as long as the older bearing is in good condition. I think most people hear an upgrade when replacing their old bearing with a new inverted one, just because its new. I agree that the ring clamp will help a great deal if you have many records with a lip warp. Personally, I just find it easier to get another copy of the record without the lip warp. I have not use the ring clamp myself, so I cannot say if there is any sonic difference. Some people find its use difficult. Regular dish warps are flattened by using the spindle clamp. Hope this is helpful to you.
Rick
Mark,
It was one of the MK4 upgrades, maybe the first, for the HW19. The Mk4 used whatever TNT platter was in use at the time and then later, the all acrylic black platter from the Aires Black Knight. The lead/delrin platter is 1 1/2 inches thick, all black, has cork on the bottom. The top is slightly rounded from the playing surface to the side. Weighs about 16 pounds.

You can get the Silicon-Nitride ball from McMaster-Carr. The VPI bearings use 1/4 inch, about $8 for a two-pack.

Hope this helps....
Rick