VPI SDS 45 RPM malfunction

I have a brand new SDS unit that I've used for about a month now and it's been working fine at 33 rpm, but last weekend I tried to put on a 45 rpm record and the unit malfunctioned. I was able to adjust the frequency up to 80.80 Hz, which the strobe indicated resulted in correct speed, but the voltage would flicker between 72 and 115 V for several seconds and settle at 72. It seemed the turntable was holding speed at 72, but when I put the record on and the periphery ring, the SDS kept going back and forth in frequency between 33 and 45 (up and down between approx. 60 to 80 Hz and the motor would audibly "slip" when the SDS got to 80.80 Hz and then started going back down).

Is this a matter of adjusting the unit or is the unit broken? I sent an email to VPI, but I know they are very busy so I thought in the meantime I'd ask here. Any ideas or suggestions?
actusreus

Showing 2 responses by philb7777

definitely sounds like a malfunction of the SDS. I don't currently own one, but did for several years and it shouldn't be acting like this. Your voltage should set automatically based on the speed / Hz yoy dial in. For it to fluctuate means an internal problem only VPI is likely to fix.