VPI Prime or Scout or ???

Hi all,

I’m new to record players. I’ve always been a digital music person. That said, I’ve got s nice setup now and am looking for a record player for occasional records. I won’t be too serious about it and digital will remain my main source.

i know with some of the higher end players there is a learning curve but was hoping for something not too difficult to learn.

Being from NJ, I was pretty interested in VPI. I’m not sure I quite understand the differences between the Prime and Prime Scout. The Prime would probably be near the top of my budget. Also, I have no idea which cartridge to get. 

For context, I’ll mostly be listening to vintage jazz and rock. The turntable would feed into the Phono stage of my Mytek Manhattan. Any suggestions welcome! There is a pretty good deal on a Prime Scout I’m looking at so that’s why I figured I’d ask the experienced people here.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmayoradamwest
For those following along, I do appreciate all the feedback in this thread. I think the advice that I most took to heart was finding a local shop. I did just that. There is an amazing shop very close to me with selection of turntables, speakers, and components. After listening and discussion with the owner about my setup, we landed on a Rega RP8 with an Ortofon Black cartridge. He’s going to do the setup for me and he has the same one on demo so he can show me everything I need to know. Hearing the table (vs several others) and reading reviews, I think I’m going to be quite happy with this setup. Luckily, he also has 100% trade in credit towards another table if I’m not happy. 

So the moral of the story here is probably that the best advice was to find a local shop. I learned way more from doing that than reading any review. 
Awesome! The RP8 looks great; good choice. The Ortofon black is a good start too - is that a 2M, Quintet, or Cadenza? All 3 are fine cartridges, either way. You definitely haven't make the mistake of starting too low with sub-par budget analog gear, which only leads to frustration and regret. Enjoy!
thanks @mulveling it's the Quintet Black. I auditioned with the Quintet Bronze but figured why not spend an extra $150 for the Black. I'm not sure I really understand the sound difference between the different lines, but the owner of the shop seemed to prefer the Quintet pairing with the RP8.
The Prime, The RP8, and the 1200G are all great tables.  I picked the 1200G.  It was just personal preference.  The RP8 was really great, if I could have mounted it to the wall that may have been my choice but that was not an option.  The Prime is a nice table as well.  tough choice.