VPI Prime or Scout or ???

Hi all,

I’m new to record players. I’ve always been a digital music person. That said, I’ve got s nice setup now and am looking for a record player for occasional records. I won’t be too serious about it and digital will remain my main source.

i know with some of the higher end players there is a learning curve but was hoping for something not too difficult to learn.

Being from NJ, I was pretty interested in VPI. I’m not sure I quite understand the differences between the Prime and Prime Scout. The Prime would probably be near the top of my budget. Also, I have no idea which cartridge to get. 

For context, I’ll mostly be listening to vintage jazz and rock. The turntable would feed into the Phono stage of my Mytek Manhattan. Any suggestions welcome! There is a pretty good deal on a Prime Scout I’m looking at so that’s why I figured I’d ask the experienced people here.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmayoradamwest
@gochurchgo - A VPI Prime Scout table will perform better than stock just by putting the plinth on solid cones or Bear Claw footers and getting the table OFF of the feet VPI provides.  VPI feet lower the performance of these otherwise very good tables.
bpoletti......they're called Bear Paws.....and you're right they make a very big jump in performance.
@gochurchgo, I listen to mostly rock of the 70s, 80s and 90s sprinkled with metal Ala Metallica, Sabath etc and punk such as Ramones and Sex Pistols. I have absolutely no complaints as to the sound of the Prime Scout. Rich lows, exquisite mids and highs, fast and tight. Don't know about the cone thing but the stock table as I purchased it works great for me. I do want to experiment with a mc cartridge eventually sometime down the road. Be aware my scout is somewhat supercharged.
To be honest, after watching numerous youtube videos on setup, and reading more reviews, I'm leaning towards just getting a Rega (RP8, RP10, or similar)
@gillatgh Good to know. Its been recommended I go with the 1200GR and while I have no doubt its good, and way cheaper, the thought of owning one doesn’t have the same......lustiness as a VPI. But yet I want a fast, dynamic sound.