VPI Prime or Scout or ???

Hi all,

I’m new to record players. I’ve always been a digital music person. That said, I’ve got s nice setup now and am looking for a record player for occasional records. I won’t be too serious about it and digital will remain my main source.

i know with some of the higher end players there is a learning curve but was hoping for something not too difficult to learn.

Being from NJ, I was pretty interested in VPI. I’m not sure I quite understand the differences between the Prime and Prime Scout. The Prime would probably be near the top of my budget. Also, I have no idea which cartridge to get. 

For context, I’ll mostly be listening to vintage jazz and rock. The turntable would feed into the Phono stage of my Mytek Manhattan. Any suggestions welcome! There is a pretty good deal on a Prime Scout I’m looking at so that’s why I figured I’d ask the experienced people here.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmayoradamwest
@gillatgh  It sounds like you basically have a Prime though. I’m just not sure if I’d notice or appreciate the differences between the prime and scout. Seems like mixed feedback this far. 
What bdp said.

A modestly priced, well set up TT will outperform a poorly set up high end unit.

I suggest that the order of priority should be: turntable (doesn't wear out), tonearm (aligns the cartridge to the vinyl, and doesn't wear out), and cartridge last (it does wear out). I did it the other way around, against expert advice, and ended up poorer.

For the turntable, think quiet bearing and isolation of the platter. For the tonearm, think stability and adjustability. There's a lot of hype out there - stay with the verifiable, the engineering, the science. Research alternatives until you can smell the hype, and you will be ahead of most.

Don't be afraid of small companies which you hadn't heard of. They can offer good value.

Good luck!
The Prime Super Scout is a upgraded Prime Scout sold by Upscale audio in California.  It upgrades the prime scout by adding the prime platter and the 10.5 inch memorial arm and motor. Go to their website and compare. It's only available thru Upscale in a number of plinth finishes. Mine is brushed magnesium. I have 0 regrets going this route. Have it now for about 3 months and am very happy with it. Upscale did install the cartrige perfectly aligned before shipping it to me.  All I had to do was final VTF, VTA and azimuth. Also got a discount on cartride. They may even be close to you. 
I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Just a really satisfied customer. 
Good luck in your hunt.
+1 for the Super Prime Scout from Upscale Audio. I’m loving mine with the Kiseki Blue cartridge. 

@gillatgh I thought UA was going to do the cartridge install, but it came separate. But I had no issues doing it myself. 
I have a vpi scout and the Hana SL works very well. Quiet background and very musical. Sounds warm but with detail. I think it will pair well with your mcintosh.