VPI motor - upgrade to 300 rpm?

I hsve a HW-19 mk 4 plus or something, with the Black knight platter and inverted bearing, along with the SDS, The SAMA is the Hurst 600 rpm. This has run, now, for five years. Recently I have had problems with pitch variation, not easy to locate. The problems have been somewhat solved by glueing the pulley to the shaft and by oiling the motor, helping a lot, but perhaps not fully. Should I order a 300 rpm motor and new pulley? Advice is appreaciated, especially, experiences going from the 600 to the 300 rpm motor.
Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter

Showing 1 response by vpi

Four things to look at:
1. Early 600 rpm SAMA came with a flywheel.  It looks like a large stainless steel washer that slides over the motor spindle.  VPI stopped using it at some point because it wobbles causing speed variations, flutter and rumble.  If your SAMA has one ditch it.

2.  Worn belts will cause speed fluctuations.  Don't get a third party belt.  Only a few dollars more to get the VPI belt.

3.  Dirty or dry platter bearing will cause speed fluctuations.  Clean it out with alcohol and q tips and oil it sparingly with a high quality oil.  I like sewing machine oil.

4.  I've had a couple generations of the VPI speed controllers (SDS) and was never pleased with any of them.  I now use a Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner.  They keep speed dead on to within about .004.  Unfortunately Phoenix recently went out of business but if you can find the pair used for a decent price they are great.