VPI, Graham, Koetsu advice please

Hopefully there are some experienced agoners out there that can help me figure this out. I use a Well Tempered Amadeus/ Lyra Kleos / Bob's devices step up / Lamm Lp2 - that finally, after many years, betters my modest digital side (Bob's Devices step up did the trick).

Through an unfortunate event, I now also have a VPI TNT 3.5 with Graham 2.2 arm and Koetsu Rosewood Signature and SDS. I set this all up last night and the VPI is dead silent compared with the well tempered's v low yet audible rumble between tracks. But, compared to the Amadeus/Lyra on actual music tracks, the VPI is comes across veiled, a bit congested, plodding, with no bass and no sparkle. And, please know overall I lean towards that tube sound (SET 211, etc).

Both are running thru Bob's SUT and then into a Lamm LP2. The only other difference is the Kimber TAK-H IC between the Amadeus and Bob's vs the hard wired Hovland IC from the Graham to Bob's.

What's going on here? I expected the TNT beast and lush Koetsu to destroy the Amadeus/Lyra. What would be your expectations? Before I move the Lyra onto the VPI, I thought I'd ask you all for suggestions. Thank you
poonbean

Showing 1 response by zd542

Depending on how much the Koetsu was used, it may not be fully broken in. I would also remove the SUT from the system and see if that helps.