VPI Classic vs. Well Tempered Amadeus

Both of these turntables are priced very simular. Who out there has compared the two turntables? Which one did you like and why?

Thanks.
bobheinatz

Showing 2 responses by joc3021

Disclosure: I retail Well Tempered turntables, Departure Audio.

I have never A/B'd them directly, but I owned a VPI Scout with JM memorial arm and now own a Well Tempered Amadeus. Both good tables, but sonically, no comparison. To my ears the Well Tempered performs at a much higher level. Quieter, deeper bass, bigger sound stage, more musical. Maybe the higher level VPI models even things out, don't know. I do feel the Well Tempered competes well with tables at many times its cost. I think you need to get to the mega buck tables to significantly better its performance. I have owned Linn's, Technics, VPI's and SOTA's, all good tables, but bettered significantly by the Well Tempered from a high value/high performance perspective.
Drubin: William Firebaugh, the (some say genius) designer of the table says he has addressed the geometry issue and it's not a concern. There's a link to a white paper explaining his reasoning on the Well Tempered web site. If you can fully understand it, you're ahead of me. I do know all the Dynavector cartridges work perfectly in the arm. I believe the arm was designed partially with these cartridges in mind.
I also know lots of Amadeus users use a variety of cartridges and have had no issues.