VPI Classic Vs Basis 1400 or 2001

Does the VPI Classic compete with these to Basis tables? I know they are at the lower end of the Basis line but I am just trying to get a feel for what Basis has to offer as I have never heard one. I have heard the Classic so I can get some kind of an idea.
tzh21y

Showing 3 responses by cmalak

Well, I also asked about the Basis 1400. Does this table compete with the Classic or does the Classic best it?

It sounds like the Classic, although not as good as the Basis 2001, is pretty close.

Tzh21y...I have not heard the Basis 1400 so cannot offer up a comparison for you. Will you have a chance to audition any of these tables in person?
Tzh21y...I auditioned the VPI Classic 1 and compared it to a mint traded-in Basis 2001 with Graham 2.2 tonearm at my dealer. We used the same cartridge to compare the two turntables (Benz Micro Glider SL) and ran it through a Nagra BPS phono. I liked both tables by the way but to my ears the Basis 2001 with the Graham 2.2 tonearm was at times superior to the Classic 1 on dynamics, resolution, and staging/imaging. All-in-all, I found the Basis/graham combo to be a bit more musically engaging as well. The Graham 2.2 tonearm I am sure has a lot to do with this as well, not just the Basis table. I ended up buying the Basis/Graham combo. The problem is there are so many variables in vinyl playback that YMMV. If you know you like the VPI Classic sound, which is excellent by the way, and you cannot audition and even better compare the Basis with the VPI Classic, then I would go with the VPI Classic. Hope this helps.
AEW...not a fair comparison because I compared the VPI Classic to the VPI Scout with the JMW 9 arm and there was no comparison there either. The Classic outperformed the Scout by a big margin. The Scout sounded slow, dark and thick compared to the Classic. I agree that the 2001 for me still is the better table vs the Classic and as Stanwal states above, it should be given the price difference, but I wouldn't use your comparison of the Scout vs. the 2001 to be as informative to the OP's question given that the Classic is a much better table than the Scout.