VPI Classic 3 vs Basis 2200

Hi,

I currently have a classic 3 with a Dynavector XV1-S, which I'm enjoying but am also open to an upgrade. I was told that the Basis 2200 is a huge step up. Any insights and opinions based on direct experience will be really appreciated.

Cheers
128x128moryoga

Showing 4 responses by larryi

On a Basis 2500, a friend of mine had both a Vector 2 and a Graham Phantom arm. Using both a Lyra Titan i and a Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge for comparison, several listeners compared the two arms while cartridges were switched in the arms. Everyone preferred the Vector 2. I personally thought the differences were quite small (Phantom seemed a bit darker and slightly less energetic sounding).

I don't know about a comparison with a 2.2. Another friend of mine actually likes the 2.2 more than the Phantom, so this is really a matter of taste.
I currently own a Basis Debut with an outboard motor controller and vacuum clamping system. The build quality is exceptional. Unlike some other tables where you can see slight play or out-of-round "wobble" in rotating parts, absolutely nothing of that sort can be seen with the Basis.

But, I have also owned a VPI HW15-IV and it too is quite a nice table. Yes, it is not built quite as well as the Basis, but it is a lot cheaper and worked well for many years (it is currently in a friend's system still working away).

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.
I have a synchrowave and it makes a difference, though I would hardly consider it to be a major improvement. Pitch stability is good with Basis tables without a separate power supply so what one hears is not so much related to obviously better pitch stability than one hears a more "solid" (weightly without sounding bloated or sluggish) sound and sharp imaging.

It is the real deal when it comes to power supplies. In order to use it, the motor for the table has to be sent back to Basis for modification. That is because the power supply does not merely use a capacitor to split the power for the dual phases being fed to the motor like some power supplies do.

The really cost effective upgrade with their tables is buying their top grade belt. This might actually make a bigger difference (particularly if the belt on the table is worn).
The Vector arm should work well with ANY of the commonly used cartridges. The arm is very good at dampening/grounding vibrational energy from cartridge, meaning that it would work with demanding cartridges that impart a lot of energy to the tonearm (e.g., Lyra cartridges).

When I went from a VPI HW-15 IV to the Basis Debut/Vector 3 setup, the initial impression was that the sound is a bit "darker" and less energetic. But, once I got used to the difference, I really appreciated what the Basis setup was doing. The noise level is low and there is greater clarity (not lean sounding, just less muddled). Some of what I took as energy or excitement in my prior setup now seems more like an artificial "jangliness" that I mistook for more energy. The real dynamic contrast of the Basis setup is terrific (not that the VPI is in any sense bad). The Basis sounds more solid, composed and poised, and it is NOT lacking in liveliness.