VPI 16.5 Problem

Hi, picked up a used VPI 16.5 here on audiogon--eventually the law of used had to catch up to me, I guess. Worked great for about a dozen albums, but since then the vacuum seems to overpower the turntable--having no knowledge of how the turntable works, it is acting like there was a loose drive belt. So, vacuum really, really works, motor for turntable works, turntable spins (though sometimes starts slowly and then speeds up to normal operating speed), but when both on, turntable stops rotating (motor continues). Any ideas before I take to a repair shop? Thanks very much.

I have 12 beautifully cleaned albums, though.
jhsjhs

Showing 2 responses by mt10425

Do not just try to pull the platter off. I had a similar issue and the splindle was loose. Around the spindle there is a part of the cork which is removable (I used an exacto knife). Under that there are three screws. You can then see the spindle and it is anchored by two hex screws. Mine needed to be tightened, yours may too.
I was able to tighten those hex screws without removing the eight regular screws. A standard allen wrench should be able to reach at a slight angle to tighten them. I've since bought a set of allen wrenched with ball ends just for this application. Good luck.