Von Schweikert VR4JR Set Up

I just took delivery of a pair of VR4JRs last Saturday and am having difficultly getting the "wall" of pink noise described in the manual. They have about 100 hours break in at low to medium levels.

My thought is they may not be broken in enough to try to set them up at this point although that may not be correct.

My room is 14x12x7. Speakers are 8' apart on the long wall. Placement is 1.5' from back wall, 2.5' from right side and about 7' from left wall (room is irregular shaped). Listening seat is 8' from speakers.

Any help would be appreciated even if it is to wait until the speakers are further broken in.
eetheredge

Showing 6 responses by maril555

Aball, what exactly do you mean, when you say "out of focus"? In my system they image rather well. Often times when listening to 2-ch. recording I have to get up and make sure that center channel is off. The center image is unbelievably stable and life-like, so is the image depth. On some well-recorded uncompressed material you can swear musicians are right behind the curtain covering the screen on the back wall and speakers "disappear" almost completely. Interestingly enough, on many older recordings the "imaging" is not all that good.
My speakers are well away from the back wall (7 ft.), exactly 1/3 of the room length, and the same distance apart. I'm still experimenting with the toe-in, but I have to say, that VR-4 JR's are not very sensitive to the toe-in, at least image-wise. Now I have mine with very slight degree of toe-in (5-10).
Again, YMMV. Regards.
Eetheredge, can you please let us know about the results of your experiments with placement and especially toe-in. Regards.
Could somebody clarify a pink noise frequency you using in a "ball of sound" test, please.
Also, what is your description of the "ball of sound" in the lay terms. I'm using 500 Hz test tone from Rives Audio test CD #2, and what I hear is a pretty strong center image with some depth to it, but I'm really having problem describing it as a "ball". Is it suppose to be round? Am I simply can't hear it, because my placement is off?, or it's something other than "a ball"?
Thank you for putting it back on the radar.
Oh, this mysterious "ball of pink noise".
Thank you, Tvad. I will try to find Stereophile CD, and I do have Robert Harley's book, which I actually used to place speakers.