Voltage regulator in the power chain

I bought a Cullen Perfect Plug which a cullen power cable on it (plugs into my wall socket). Into that I have plugged my APC voltage regulator, acts a power bar too. Into the voltage regulator I have plugged my amp with a Zu Audio power cable.

The perfect plug + cable are designed to reduce noise. I'm wondering if my APC voltage regulator will add noise?

The power where I live now is quite stable, I can't say I need it (unlike where we used to live), but it is convenient as a power bar. A nice safeguard too.

79ee45c9 73de 479a 9f6b ab4f75b05b18jimspov
What is the specific model of the APC?
auxinput  it is an APC Line-R 1200

Yeah, I think the APC is going to be the weak link in your system.  It's really designed for keeping constant voltage for computer type systems (which can crash or error if voltage drops from a brownout).  It's probably has highly switching circuits that equalize the voltage to be constant.  This will create noise in the A/C.  Also, it has weird sockets (more of the computer type sockets - for special computer power cords).  Has a smaller EI transformer.


If you really want voltage regulation, I would look for a used Monster AVS 2000 (typically around $400-500 on ebay or google search).  It has a very large toroidal transformer that contains a variable tap input.  It uses a motor to move to the proper voltage tap output on the transformer and gives you nominal 120V output (even if A/C is lower or higher).  The idea for audio is to have a smooth A/C.  It doesn't have to be constantly 120V.  If it varies a little bit, that's fine, as long as it's smooth waveforms.  You can always look at PS Audio conditioners if you want a more exotic and high-end voltage regulator / conditioner (very expensive).

Otherwise, if you are just looking for a powerbar, try an Emotiva power strip or a Belkin PureAV conditioner.  Both can be had for around $100.

I saw a review on that voltage regulator. It's fine, but really coarse. If you don't need it, I'd take it out of the system. I'm a little surprised you don't also have mechanical hum from it. :)

It seems to have only 3 states: Boost 15V, buck 15V, and pass-through. That's not terrible, at all, but leaves you with a variety of voltages instead of a single, 5V range like in pro audio regulators, or consumer gear. But for $70 it's a bargain. :)

My usual recommendation for power conditioners for the home is Furman with LiFT for noise, SMP for surge protection. They're bargains, effective and I think they do a great job of passing all the current big amps need.

You can also get them with voltage regulation, which usually adds quite a bit to the price, but it's usually in 5V increments so you'll get more consistent voltage than the APC. Like you though, I was in an apartment with 130V but now have moved and my VAC is always near 120V to 125 so I no longer use it.


What if I plugged the voltage regulator into the wall first and then plugged the power conditioner into it?

That's how I did it with my 2 Furman units.  The first was the voltage regulator, and the power conditioners plugged into that, however the Furman has 5V granularity. Your unit has 15V so it's not usually going to be helping you, as much as just wasting power.

I'd just leave it off and rely on my conditioners in case of an over voltage.

The Furman SMP units have very good over voltage protection by the way. :)