VMPS 626 JR

I have read several reviews on these speakers and was wondering if anyone has personal experience with them. I've never owned a ribbon/cone combination and am curious as to how the combination sounds. My music tastes ranges between jazz, swing/big band, vocals, acoustic and some rock. Listening levels are between 60 - 90 dB.
The reviews didn't mention it but the dealer said these speakers sound great and are very detailed when driven at the levels mentioned.
Any personal insight is greatly appreciated.
mike53

Showing 1 response by soix

Your comments on a smaller full-range speaker made me think of this review of the Mark & Daniel Sapphire, which also has some interesting and different driver types (and I think they may have a try before you buy policy, but not sure):
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/mark_daniel.htm

Others that are on my list that do a decent job on bass but perhaps not full-range enough:
Usher Be-718(tiny dancer)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
Silverline Minuet

Of these I've only heard the Minuets which mightily impressed everyone at the NYC Home Entertainment show by realistically placing a full standup bass in the medium-sized room, so I'd say they'd probably do a credible job in your room as well. They and the Ascend Acoustics would save you a good amount of dough if they work for you.

Obviously these are all very different speakers with varying levels of sensitivity, but all worth looking into in addition to the VMPS if you have access. Best of luck.