VITUS SM-100 amp. What do they sound like?

Hello all,

I've heard some good things about Vitus amps and am particularly interested in the SM-100 (recently replaced by the SM-101). Apparently they have been used on a show with the same speakers I'm currently using the Marten design Coltrane.

Has anyone on Audiogon got experience with the Vitus SM-100 and how does it sound compared for instance the Levinson 33H.

Is it possible to describe the sound signature of the Vitus amp?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
maxx1973

Showing 1 response by csommovigo

Hi Maxx1973,

As the importer of the line I can lend some insight. All Vitus amps tend to perform with more apparent power than their power-rating implies. I've used the 50 watt SS-101 vs. a pair of well-regarded 1200w monoblocks on a pair of German Physiks "The Carbon" loudspeakers - only to have the Vitus sound more detailed, more in control of the LF, and delivering better spatial and imaging cues. No sense of strain whatsoever.

I've used the 25 watt SS-010 to drive several conventional loudspeakers, including Peak Consult Princess System and InCognito-X, and never wanted for power or resolution. Peak COnsult have actually used this very same 25 watt amp to power their ultra-huge DRAGON loudspeaker in demonstration - chosen because the amp delivered everything that the Dragon was capable of doing.

The sound of a Vitus amp is very clean, undistorted, unstrained, powerful, and very highly resolved. Tonal balance is the best I've heard from a solid-state amplifier and among the best I've heard in the world, period. Built like a Sherman tank, too.