Vinylphiles...used/new TT/Cart combo under $700?

I've been researching relatively low-cost TT/Cart combos around $700 total. I'd like to keep the vinyl front end to $1000 including phono preamp.

Vintage Thorens (TD147 & others), Dual (1229), AR (XB, ES-1), Rega P3, MMF5, new KAB Technics SL1200?

78 rpm would be a nice bonus, not not necessary.

OK Vinylphiles, have at it.
128x128tvad

Showing 7 responses by tvad

You all have highlighted the tables I have discoverd through some research and private tutoring from some kind Audiogon members.

My thinking is this. I don't have a problem with cleaning, lubing and replacing the belt on a table. I'm not likely to build a new plinth for a Lenco. From what I've read, the stock Lenco plinth is the biggest problem with the table, and therefore perhaps a Lenco with the stock plinth is not best suited for my purposes. If I have misinterpreted this, then please explain.

The Thorens TD-147, TD-160 or TD-125 are on my radar. Like most tables, these have their fans and their detractors.

Likewise AR, Denon DP-72L or DP-62L, and Garrard 701 or 1229.

I am beginning to recognize that the most highly regarded tables have substantial plinths...as indicated by the Lenco project tables and the VPI and Well Tempered tables mentioned earlier in this thread.

The Technics SL-1200...especially the KAB modified versions...seem to be the best new production table for my purposes. However, equipped the way I'd like it sends the price to nearly $1100.
Deano sold me a Densen air suspension platform and that's what decouples the Creature. It's really effective at dealing with vertical & lateral vibrations.

Psychicanimal  (Threads | Answers)
This is for the Technics table? Then this platform does the work of a custom massive Lenco plinth?
Done. Under $600 total...all from E-Bay.

A mint Thorens TD 160 MKII with TP16 II tonearm, a Stanton 681EEE cartridge, and a Lehmann Black Cube SE with PWX power supply.
Yesterday, I received and installed the Shure V15-III phono cartridge w/new VN35MR stylus. More extension and apparent resolution versus the Stanton 681EE. The Stanton seems a bit warmer. The Shure is more "audiophile" and conveys a larger image.