Vinylphiles...used/new TT/Cart combo under $700?

I've been researching relatively low-cost TT/Cart combos around $700 total. I'd like to keep the vinyl front end to $1000 including phono preamp.

Vintage Thorens (TD147 & others), Dual (1229), AR (XB, ES-1), Rega P3, MMF5, new KAB Technics SL1200?

78 rpm would be a nice bonus, not not necessary.

OK Vinylphiles, have at it.
128x128tvad

Showing 2 responses by psychicanimal

The highest priority 1200 mod is the tonearm rewire. It's better done before shipping the unit, the same goes for the threaded spindle (I'm still deciding on that one). If you want 78 RPM, that would be next. The outboard power supply follows, then the fluid damper and last the strobe disabler (have it too, but not installed yet).

Patrick, I'm impressed by your system--and very few systems actually impress me. Anyone with plenty money can buy stuff. Carefully assembling a system and reaching particular goals is a whole different arena. Like yours, my interconnects use naturally insulated silver, too. Now, you're missing a lot of good music available in digital formats. I solved the issue when I switched to a belt driven transport, which Dan Wright later modded. It's a mean salsa and merengue playing machine...a machine gun with a silencer!

Deano sold me a Densen air suspension platform and that's what decouples the Creature. It's really effective at dealing with vertical & lateral vibrations.

The platform is comprised of three metal boxes, each with an aluminum half sphere 'piston' on top. A granite slab is placed on top of the 'pistons'. When the whole load is pushed down the 'pistons' act as springs ( and also work in the lateral plane ). The frequency of up and down cycles is dialed in to about three to five per second and the turntable leveled. It works like industrial platforms where the resonant frequencies are shifted down, but with pumped air instead of metal springs. It's really good, especially because the 1200's problem is handling lateral vibrations--not vertical.

This device and sticking Marigo Dots on the gimbal bearing housings & cartridge has brought a new dimension in clarity and definition. Keeping the bearing oil all the way to the top brings big improvements, too.