Vinyl vs. top-notch digital

I have never had an analogy rig. My CD player is a Meridian 800, supposedly one of the very best digital players out there. From what I've read, it appears there is a consensus in our community that a high-quality analog rig playing a good pressing will beat a top notch digital system playing a well-recorded and mastered CD. So here are my questions:

1) How much would one have to invest in analog to easily top the sound quality of the Meridian 800 (or similar quality digital player)? (Include in this the cost of a phono-capable preamp; my "preamp" right now is a Meridian 861 digital surround processor.)

2) How variable is the quality of LPs? Are even "bad" LPs still better than CD counterparts?

Thank you for any comments and guidance you can provide.
jeff_arrington
Of course DACs don't sound digital. The noise is missing. No turntable can sound digital. Too much noise. Sound quality as in fidelity between vinyl and the best high res digital set up depends on the master. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Blanket statements either way are an indication of personal bias not reality. Like Mike I simply go where the music is.
You're both missing the point I guess.  I'm not talking about surface noise.  That is what it is and nobody strives to achieve that.  I'm talking about the actual reproduction of the music.  My point stands, when a DAC is really good it's described as "analog sounding" (MSB, Lampizator, Aqua, etc).  Sounding analog for a DAC is the ultimate compliment.  Sounding digital for a turntable is the ultimate insult.
Maybe a look at a simple tube  phono stage schematic vs a DAC schematic might shed some light on the subject.

For you non technical guys maybe the KISS principle might apply.  For over 30 years they have been telling me how great digital is.  Well I have a system which I have modified beyond belief and I use it on stuff that did not make it to vinyl.

If I want something that really sounds like  real MUSIC out comes the black disc.  The best thing digital has done for me is it bought down the price of albums for a few decades.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
Getting your turntable to sound digital is easy.
Play most of the reissued/new release albums. They sound like the CD you could have purchased instead of a record that needs to be handled with some care.
My point stands, when a DAC is really good it's described as "analog sounding" (MSB, Lampizator, Aqua, etc). Sounding analog for a DAC is the ultimate compliment. Sounding digital for a turntable is the ultimate insult.

Right. Them's fightin' words.