Vinyl vs high def audio i.e. 24bit / 96 or 192khz

I was born to the world of cassette tapes and soon digital music. My only experience with Vinyl was the one rather audition I had recently. It wasn't feasible at the time for us to try a blind fold A/B test. So my question for anyone has experienced both, is that is it worth it to buy a turntable? 

The entry level ones are not really expensive compared to the gears I currently have. However, it's my habit to not keep things that I would not use. That includes thing that is a hassle to use or requires a lot of maintenance. The shop owner where I auditioned a Rega turntable kind of insinuated it falls into both of the aforementioned categories. For instance, the Vinyl doesn't hold many songs so swapping is pretty much a necessity. Upon some research, I also found that vinyl albums recently issued are likely produced from a digital master anyway, some are even just slightly above CD Quality. I have a large library of songs from HDTracks that are at least 24bit / 48khz and honestly I cannot tell a difference once they hit 24 bit / 96khz. 

With the above said, what's so great about Vinyl in your view? Thanks for the feedback. 
angelgz2

Showing 4 responses by millercarbon

Please don’t make the same mistake that millercarbon and thousands of LP lovers. This is not about what you or me like it more but facts that can tell us which is superior

Question: Why do you play music?

Do you play music to look at the patterns on the oscilloscope? I don’t think so.

Do you play music to print out a nice flat frequency response? I don’t think so.

On your all time favorite music list, are the songs rated by signal to noise ratio? I don’t think so.

Have you ever thought to yourself, "That Jimi Hendrix (Carlos Santana, Jimmy Page, fill in the blank) solo would be so awesome, if only it had the low distortion of a pure sine wave"? I don’t think so.

Instead, I think people listen to music because they like it. They play their favorite songs because they like them. Really, really like them. Like them a lot. Some people even play the music they like more than the music they don’t like. Sounds crazy, I know. Hard to believe. But true.

Question: Do you in general like things difficult, or easy?

Pretty sure we all know where this is going. If its making some people uneasy, well maybe a little less sticking to preconceived notions, and a little more acceptance of the facts?

Because playing a record sure ain’t easy. So if despite all the trouble a whole lot of people are playing more records, just maybe its because they like em a whole lot more.

Which, given we’ve already established that we by definition like what is better, means records are better.

And them’s the facts.

The bottom line in Analog is; "You have to run with the big dogs or stay at home"!

A little story to illustrate just how far off the mark that is:

Back around 1995 I was done and very happy with my CD based system except for comments I kept coming across about records. It seemed unlikely. But my old Technics SL-1700 was just sitting in a box out in the garage, still had an old Kenwood integrated with its included phono stage, couldn't be that hard to dig it out, hook it up, prove the stories one way or the other.

Which I did. Which was quite the experience. Stupid little old (very old- 20 years old) turntable sounded more like music than my carefully selected brand new ten times as expensive CDP.

Maybe it was just me. But then my wife came home. Looking in the door, from where she could hear but not see, she asked what was I playing? Tom Petty. No, I mean what is it? Because it sounds really good.

So my wife with no clue whatsoever immediately preferred the sound of the vinyl. As did I. For one very simple reason: it just sounds a whole lot more like music.

Now again, this was back 20 years ago, back when nobody had a record, or record player, to buy or even see in any store anywhere, except maybe a few that specialize in used equipment. Today, last time I went looking, every room in every audio store had at least one turntable all set up and running.

That simply would not be the case if it were true that "You have to run with the big dogs or stay at home." But it could easily happen if it turns out records just plain sound better.

One flies in the face of reality. The other conforms beautifully.

Choose wisely.
lalitk-
“Vinyl is more for people who love music.”

Thanks for humoring us.......LMAO!!!! 😂 🤣😂

Vinyl is so much better than digital its silly to even talk about, as that can't be done without assuming they are comparable, when they aren't. One is music, the other noise. A whole lot of people miss this, because the noise of vinyl is so obvious. The noise with digital is woven right into the signal. With digital its silly even to talk about signal to noise ratio. With digital the signal IS the noise!

The situation is so bad people try and make their digital sound better by dubbing it to analog. Seriously! Famous Blue Raincoat, which shows on the jacket as DDD, the final mix-down was in fact done to analog. Several versions were compared, none of them preferred DDD, they all went with the analog.

The one thing that gives the numbers crunchers cover is the sad reality of vinyl being temperamental. Unlike digital, the plain fact is no two records sound exactly the same. Better Records has thrown a microscope on this, but anyone who cares can prove it easily enough simply by playing two copies of the same record back to back. 

What this means is that digital vs analog is not like most people think a question of sound quality. Its a question of convenience. 

Which is why I said in the beginning, " Since you are mainly interested in convenience then you should just stick with what you know. Vinyl is more for people who love music." And that's no joke.
Since you are mainly interested in convenience then you should just stick with what you know. Vinyl is more for people who love music.