Vinyl vs high def audio i.e. 24bit / 96 or 192khz

I was born to the world of cassette tapes and soon digital music. My only experience with Vinyl was the one rather audition I had recently. It wasn't feasible at the time for us to try a blind fold A/B test. So my question for anyone has experienced both, is that is it worth it to buy a turntable? 

The entry level ones are not really expensive compared to the gears I currently have. However, it's my habit to not keep things that I would not use. That includes thing that is a hassle to use or requires a lot of maintenance. The shop owner where I auditioned a Rega turntable kind of insinuated it falls into both of the aforementioned categories. For instance, the Vinyl doesn't hold many songs so swapping is pretty much a necessity. Upon some research, I also found that vinyl albums recently issued are likely produced from a digital master anyway, some are even just slightly above CD Quality. I have a large library of songs from HDTracks that are at least 24bit / 48khz and honestly I cannot tell a difference once they hit 24 bit / 96khz. 

With the above said, what's so great about Vinyl in your view? Thanks for the feedback. 
angelgz2

Showing 8 responses by lalitk

“Since you already have excellent content, why on earth add another source where you have no content at all? Instead, why not just invest in a better dac / reclocker-regenerator / cable combo”.

That’s the best advice so far....I held off the the temptation of owning vinyl rig for the very same reason. Instead, I chose to better my CD and digital playback system. 

It doesn’t make you any less passionate or collector of music if you don’t own Vinyl. I own plenty of SACD and remastered XRCD’s that sounds just as good as Vinyl in my system, YMMV. 
“Vinyl is more for people who love music.”

Thanks for humoring us.......LMAO!!!! 😂 🤣😂
“Actually its kids that are driving vinyl sales these days- not older audiophiles.”

I respectfully disagree, I have yet to witness ‘kids’ buying the vinyl. My local vinyl stores (the two I frequently visit) , the typical crowd is 55-60plus. I was at AXPONA this weekend and witnessed the same trend. 

Unless you call 50plus crowds ‘kids’ then I concur with you wholeheartedly 😊

millercarbon, 

Could it be that whole lot of people are ‘stuck’ playing records cause it’s the only way they know how to enjoy their favorite tunes?

Could it be that whole lot of people invested so much money in buying vinyl, setting up their TT rig and they are just too stubborn to admit that their could be another format that’s equally good or better?

Could it be that most Vinyl lovers aren’t adventurous enough to explore other options to enjoy their favorite tunes? I mean why bother after painstakingly collecting thousands of records, most of them are probably out of print and holds sentimental and monetary value. 

And if they did, they weren’t patient enough to setup their digital rig properly and gave up quickly. One vinyl lovers openly admitted to compare his $$$$ vinyl setup with a $100 CD player. Most people can’t get their heads to think beyond ‘digital bits are just 1’s and 0’s’ 

I am sure you or anyone else just didn’t start enjoying vinyl and TT out of the box. It took countless hours of fine tuning and gear swapping. Same rules applies to CD playback and digital streaming. Those taken the time to fine tune their digital setups are enjoying their favorite artists and music just as much as the next door Vinyl lover. 

As I said before, listening music through Vinyl is a different experience not necessarily better. 
And to answer your question “Why do you play music?”

Music entertain us by reiterating certain aspect of our lives. It makes us feel or connect to our emotions. And your enjoyment of music or favorite artist should not be contingent upon the format, shape or form; you enjoy them regardless.

Let’s not get caught up in the debate as to which format is better, just enjoy the music.
+1, elizabeth.

I do remember seeing LP’s in dollar bins. And selling majority of my CD’s for pennies on the dollar few years back.

^^Why would you or anyone even bother to compare the two...one is Analog and the other one is Digital. They ought to sound different, hello?

You say, you don’t or won’t own a TT, even though you know it’s something special....what does that mean? Is it a matter of preference / convenience or you’re perfectly happy to settle with a inferior format 😉