vinyl versus digital redux

Has anyone compared the sound of vinyl with the sound of digital converted from a vinyl intermediary ?

I am referring to 'rips' of vinyl made with high end, high quality vinyl playback systems, with
conversion to high resolution digital.
I find it nearly impossible to distinguish the two results.
The digital rip of a vinyl record sounds identical...or very nearly so...to direct playback of the vinyl.

If one has 'experienced' the foregoing, one might question why digital made without the intermediary of vinyl sounds so different from vinyl.   A detective story ?

We are talking about vinyl made by ADC (analog to digital conversion) of an amplified microphone signal and re-conversion to analog for output to the record cutting lathe, or from analog tape recording of an amplified microphone signal, and then....as above...via ADCl and back to analog for output to the cutting lathe.

Of course vinyl can be and is 'cut' (pressings made from 'stamper' copies the 'master' cut in lacquer) without digital intermediary.  Such practice is apparently uncommon, and ?? identified as such by the 'label' (production)

Has anyone compared vinyl and high resolution digital (downloads) albums offered by the same 'label' of the same performance ?  Granted, digital versus vinyl difference should diminish with higher digital resolution.   Sound waves are sine waves....air waves do not 'travel' in digital bits.    A digital signal cannot be more than an approximation of a sine wave, but a closer approximation as potential digital resolution (equating to bit depth times sampling frequency) increases.

If vinyl and digital well made from vinyl intermediary sound almost identical, and If vinyl and digital not made via vinyl intermediary sound quite different, what is the source of this difference ? 

Could it reside....I'll skip the sound processing stages (including RIAA equalization)...in the electro-mechanical process imparting the signal to the vinyl groove ?

Is there analogy with speaker cone material and the need for a degree of self-damping ?
Were self-damping not to some extent desirable, would not all speaker cones, from tweeter to sub-woofer, be made of materials where stiffness to weight ratio was of sole importance ?

Thanks for any comments.
seventies
I should add, re: "blew away". This was the result using the Lyra Atlas cart with the Aesthetix Io phono preamp - costing much more than the Teac, so in those terms the playing field is not even in my system.
Mijostyn >I never evaluate music with the headphones- -  Me too. I like the staging and feeling of music better through my speakers. Using phones only for reference e g when recording from vinyl. Recently I’ve considered, maybe I should give headphones another chance, and have ordered a used Audioquest Nightowl, supposed to sound quite organic and "analog".

Orpheus10 and others,

I again seek input regarding preservation  ("archival") of music recorded prior to the hi res digital era.
Does playback (with or without digitization) of lp's made, say 40 years ago, from audio tape offer advantage over hi res digital transfers made today from those 40-year-old tapes ?

Is there better preservation of high frequency information on the lp's ?
Headphones are not for mixing, at least not ideal. They are for fine work, determining issues, etc.

Seventies, in regard to preservation of music, it has been unanimously decided by the most astute audiophiles that reel to reel tape is ultimate audio for "music lovers" .

In regard to computer storage, I use WAV and the difference between the playback of the reel to reel and the playback of reel to reel tape that I've stored on computer files is "minute".

I'm of that age, which could be questioned in regard to my hearing, but I think it's still pretty good; however, since I am of that age, the allegation that I don't have perfect hearing would have some merit. Never the less, I can distinguish the difference between LP playback, reel to reel playback, or CD playback from my computer.

There are some differences between my computer and stock computers in regard to cards, there is one card for sure that was recommended for analog transfer, but I don't remember which one it is. That information might be on the PC forum. I know for sure that if you do everything right, whatever you store on your computer will be practically indistinguishable from the original.

I used hi-res for awhile, but not every record was perfect; it was hit and miss so I quit, but that was when they first started.