Vinyl/TT Gurus Chime in! Cartridge Decision: Rework My old Sumiko or get a new cartridge?

My Quandary: I have an old Gyrodec MkI(I think) with a Zeta Tonearm and a Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso B cartridge (HOMC). I've been getting bilateral distortion usually about  the 1/3 mark way through my records. The cartridge is really old and either needs re-tipped and possibly a new cantilever or do I consider a new cartridge altogether. I've heard these carts are very highly regarded.

Get the Sumiko reworked at what I imagine is a pretty penny penny?

or

Get a new cartridge which will work with a MM phono preamp (suggestions please)

Associated Gear:
Lounge Audio LCR MKIII phono stage (MM only.. Not looking to change this)
Gyrodec Mk I
Zeta tonearm w/ a mass of 16g

Budget $500-$600 tops.

Thanks in Advance!!
128x128birdfan
Great tip 😉 from Dover re the possibility of sticky bearings; definitely worth looking into.   Re the Virtuoso: if memory serves the only difference between the Virtuoso B and the Virtuoso DTI was the cantilever material.  B (boron), DTI (diamond coated titanium).  Sumiko had earlier “Talisman” models (Talisman S, Talisman Alchemist)  that were entirely different cartridges and which were indeed mediocre as Harold points out.  Harold, coincidentally, I pm’ed you yesterday re an unrelated subject.  If you have a moment, I would appreciate your thoughts.  Best to all.
Peter at SoundSmith is not recommending not only a HOMC, but even a LOMC because of the high moving mass, his lecture is here. He clearly prefer an MI cartridges. You can imagine how many different cartridges have been cracked and fixed at SoundSmith. But Peter vote for MI technology. 
Thanks to one and all. I truly appreciate your feedback. I've decided to retip/rebuild the cart with Soundsmith. 

Just one thing I've noted as a general trend in responses to this and many other threads here on this forum(and others): There are many of you who have the pocket books for highly regarded and expensive gear, which is fantastic. BUT when your responses are dismissive, and rude it drives drives people new to the world of hifi away. It's this type attitude that gives hifi a bad name and reputation. Most people new to the love of hifi are turned off by this and may feel alienated. No one likes snobbery and dismissive sarcastic attitudes. The entire field of hifi is dying as enthusiasts become and older with fewer and fewer younger folks interested, in part because of the attitudes so evident in forums like this. To the rest of you with thoughtful helpful responses THANK YOU for a spirit of collaboration and support.  

Best

Bird