Vinyl, should I take the plunge?

I've assembled my dream system over the last 10 years, a nice mark levinson system with b&w n802 speakers. I've been contemplating the next step, vinyl, sacd, dvd audio. I've heard good vinyl and know how good it is, but have lingering questions...

1) What are some web sites that sell vinyl. I'd really like to see what I can buy. New releases? My old classics? I need to really see what's available and what peoples opinions are for the future. I tend to classic rock, jazz, blues, classical, and some new age music.

2) I have a 15 month old and am planning at least one more. Am I nuts for even considering vinyl (wife speaking)? I haven't had many problems so far, but my little guy just started walking a month ago. Have others successfully raised kids w/o major repairs to their vinyl or dream audio system? Or do I just need to accept that some bad things are bound to happen and start saving :( ?

I'm not convinced sacd/dvd audio are all that they are cracked up to be. Both from software that is available (limited) and the fact that so much of the software available is a crap shoot depending on how it was mixed/sampled. Comments for those w/ sacd?

Thanks in advance...

JJ
jjurich

Showing 1 response by dla405j

Vinyl is much more fun.....The hunt & search at garage sales & estate sales is wonderful. I finally solved the noise problem after much advice & don't think it's a problem. I have bought only 3 or 4 new albums in the last 3 years and just buy select used when I can. All my equipment is "quality used" bought here on Audiogon from vinyl enthusiasts who really care about their products and helping newbies. Finding & playing 30 or forty year old vinyl that sounds perfect is such a treat. The best jazz seems to be on vinyl (and Blues) and I usually start my day with an album (this morning it was Dave Brubeck that I bought for $8, no noise no pops-really smooth on my Rega P3.) I play CD's but the warmth and feel is not the same. Analogue is where it's at...each vinyl record has a story and a history (look at those labels-covers) . CD/SACD seem sterile and antiseptic. Vinyl seems to carry the life and energy of the original performer & the performance plus the interesting history of used vinyl...who originally bought it ? Where? How did it fall in my hands? I'm going dowtown right now and see what's new in my local antique store that gets vinyl on consignment. (that's where I got the Brubeck)