Vinyl playback is still a secret

Over the last two years I have encountered many baby boomers with vinyl collections who did not know that vinyl was alive and well. Most could not believe that one could buy a new cartridge or replace a TT. What has struck me most is how none of these people would sell me their collection of LPs. Their records represent too many precious memories(even when records have not been played for 20 years).

My point is that mainstream consumers need to become more aware of the revitalization of analog. Articles and advertisements for analog products and accessories must be more apparent through the popular press. Sterophile, Absolute Sound, HiFi News et al. as well as websites such as Audiogon essentially reach the true believers and not the population at large.

Somehow, the popular press barrier must be breached if analog is to become truly vibrant and "cool" again.
cardiackid

Showing 4 responses by zy1234

I buy Lp's mainly because they are available cheeply, and my intrusts in music are mainly in jazz and classical. As for increasing its popularity- I prefer to keep it cheep. Though I would be intrusted to know where you find new pressings- well aware of their existence, I have never acutally seen them for sale.
Am I the only person here who listens, with no complaints (that I dont attribute to my playbeck system), to both lps AND cds?
Not a complaint. Not about the relative quality of the media at any rate. But such rivalry serves no real purpose. Another example of it is the rivalry that exists between proponents of various weapons in fencing. I favour the foil, by the way. But each style has its benefits that appeal to people of different tastes and strengths. None us uniformly superior.